Invisalign aligners are commonly used for straightening teeth and are a great alternative to traditional metal braces. To find out if you are eligible for Invisalign treatment, an appointment with Dr. Frédéric Lavoie is necessary. Once treatment has started, it is essential to properly maintain your aligners to prevent bacteria from adhering to them and maintain good oral health, even if they are changed every week or two.
Hygienic maintenance of your aligners
When you try on your first aligners, your orthodontist will give you a cleaning kit specially designed for your Invisalign aligners. This set includes a storage box and maintenance products. Placing the aligners in the storage case when you’re not wearing them is a great habit to take to prevent losing or damaging them. In addition, we recommend that you keep the aligners from the previous steps in the event of an accident or problems with the current aligners.
Here are a few tips to maintain a good hygiene with your aligners:
- Avoid eating with your aligners. One of the main advantages of Invisalign treatments is the ability to take them out to eat! Cleaning will therefore be done more easily.
- You are allowed to drink with your aligners. Favor water over other liquids to avoid staining them. We also recommend avoiding sugary drinks, since the sugar in these products is deposited on the teeth and adheres to the surface, making cleaning more difficult.
- To maintain your aligners, we recommend cleaning them with a toothbrush and toothpaste daily to stop the growth of bacteria.
- Since it is necessary to remove your aligners when it comes time to eat, it is essential to brush your teeth before putting them back. This will avoid the appearance of cavities, while keeping your aligners clean.
Invisalign cleaning crystals are also available for purchase and can restore radiance to your aligners.
Some easy and free recipes to maintain your aligners
We have found and listed 5 homemade recipes for the cleaning of your Invisalign aligners. For the most part, these are products you might even already have at home.
- The power of vinegar! Used in our homes as a powerful, non-toxic all-purpose cleaner, it represents an economical and effective way to destroy the bacteria found on your aligners. Mix 1/2 part vinegar to 1/2 part water, and let them soak when you are not wearing them, then take them out of the solution to put them back in your mouth. You will taste the vinegar slightly, but the taste will wear off quickly.
- You can clean your aligners by soaking them in clear mouthwash to destroy any bacteria that may lodge there. Choose a transparent mouthwash, since a colored mouthwash can stain your shells.
- Easy to find in pharmacies, hydrogen peroxide is a healthy and affordable cleaning solution. Mix 1/2 part water to 1/2 part hydrogen peroxide and let soak for about 30 minutes. It’s that simple!
- Attributable to dental prostheses, Polident is your ally when it comes to cleaning your Invisalign aligners. Soak them for 15 minutes a day to ensure good hygiene.
- A slightly more expensive solution than the previous ones, but very effective: the Invisalign aligner cleaning system. This solution prevents bacteria, leaves no aftertaste and ensures increased cleanliness to your aligners.
The F. Lavoie orthodontics clinic brings together a team of qualified orthodontists that prioritize your well-being and satisfaction. Put your smile in the hands of a specialist and make an appointment for a consultation today!