There are several methods of aligning teeth, such as conventional braces, clear aligners and more. Discover the differences between the available treatments in order to make an informed choice.
Conventional braces treatment
Braces are a conventional method that has been proven effective over the years. The alignment of the teeth is done progressively with the help of a metal wire and brackets attached to each tooth, allowing the orthodontist to make the necessary adjustments at each stage of the treatment. This method, which has greatly evolved over time, is done gently and can correct all types of teeth misplacements. You will also find several options to personalize your braces such as colored elastics and brackets, “clear” ceramic brackets and much more.
The duration of orthodontic braces treatments varies according to the complexity of the case and generally lasts between 12 and 24 months. In most cases, Invisalign® treatments takes less time than conventional braces. During the treatment, your orthodontist will perform follow-ups every 6 to 8 weeks to monitor and control progress.
Invisalign® offers custom made clear aligners with the help of 3D imaging. These dental devices operate progressively, gradually moving the teeth to the desired position. Invisalign® uses a patented material, SmartTrack, a thin and flexible thermoplastic to offer superior comfort. This material is FDA approved, BPA-free, BPS-free, gluten-free, and latex-free, and has been designed to deliver fast, effective results.
The duration of treatment is similar to conventional braces, usually between 12 and 24 months depending on the severity of each case. One of the great benefits of Invisalign® treatments is the ability to remove the aligner to eat or brush your teeth, as well as its subtle appearance.
The advantages of Invisalign® :
- Better hygiene: Ability to remove aligners to brush teeth and floss.
- No dietary restrictions: Ability to remove aligners to eat, therefore no need to avoid hard foods and risk breaking your braces, also no need to avoid sticky foods that stick around the braces and cause cavities.
- Graduation/Confirmation/Wedding photos, etc.: Possibility to remove aligners so they don’t show in pictures.
- No discomfort or pain: No unstuck brackets that irritate the lips or poking metal wires.
- Less time loss : Less appointments are necessary than with braces (precious time for patients and parents)
Get more information on the orthodontic treatments offered at the F. Lavoie Orthodontic Clinic. Make an appointment and consult an orthodontic specialist to discover the best solution for your needs!